Monday, July 6, 2026

 Well, I was thinking today about making a backup of my blog -- after all, I have kept up with it for many years now....


And I accidentally pressed the button for unpublishing stuff.

The way it went was, I was looking for the button to export the blog, so I went to "manage", and the button for "revert to draft" actually looks like a download button, but I can't press it unless I have some posts selected. I'm thinking: ok, I'll select all and then see if I can use it. The "select all" button only selects the past 100 posts (about 1/6 of my total blog). But I thought I'd be smart and long press the button to get the alt text (I'm on my phone).

Turns out long pressing does give you the alt text, but it also triggers the button irreversibly. So, I unpublished a bunch of posts.

Then, I'm thinking, well, I don't know how many of those were actually drafts, and I don't know how I would figure it out. So, after a little bit, I figured, the unpublished posts all appear to be in the right order in my list. So I'll just select all and republish.

But then it reordered them on publish.

So, several posts have been reordered.


Thankfully, it looks like it didn't actually affect all 100 of the selected posts. Just a handful. Maybe I can clean this up.

ETA:

Ok, looks like it was actually working from back to front, and the effect is that about 20 regular posts dating back to 2018 are changed to drafts and dated to today.

So, what I'll do later is look through these posts and publish them one by one with my best guess at the actual/original dates. This could be a fun trip down memory lane. Maybe I'll even add ETA's with commentary about them. When I'm done, if blogger still exists, I'll look back into making my backup of the whole blog.


ETA2:

I found out that these posts have their original publication date recorded in each post, and I can back-date them on republish. So, I'm doing that. I'm also editing them with commentary from today. As I go, I'll list the date for each post here:

May 31, 2019 (Abortion law and theonomic denominations)

Jun 5, 2019 (Race stuff. Very icky. Very cringe. Almost didn't republish, but I intend not to pretend past me wasn't a dummy.)

Jun 25, 2019 (Compares a quote from Orwell with the modern situation. A solid and provocative post!)

Jun 26, 2019 (Epistemology)

Jun 28, 2019 (1984 and some theonomy)

Jul 10, 2019 (Real estate market complaints)

Aug 7, 2019 (Identity)

Aug 10, 2019 (Burnout)

Aug 12, 2019 (Mormons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Map
 
my pet!